MORE RESOURCES >> Systematic Review Resources
This page contains links to resources useful for preparing high quality systematic reviews. All the items listed below are available free on the Internet.
See also Evidence-Based Health Care ; OPTIMa Reviews & Guidelines ; Help with manuscript development
Updated January 8, 2017.
- Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes RB, Richardson WS. Evidence based medicine: What it is and what it isn’t. BMJ 1996;312(7023):71-2. PubMed Record
- Riva JJ, Malik KMP, Burnie SJ, Endicott AR, Busse JW. Commentary – What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2012 Sep;56(3):167-171. PubMed Record
- Manchikanti L [and others]. Evidence-based medicine, systematic reviews, and guidelines in interventional pain management [Parts 1-7]. Pain Physician; 2008-2009.
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions; Cochrane Training. Learn how to conduct, edit, and read systematic reviews
- Institute of Medicine. Finding What Works in Health Care: Standards for Systematic Reviews. 2011 Contents
- Systematic reviews: CRD’s guidance for undertaking reviews in health care. York: Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, 2008.
- Garritty, C., Tsertsvadze, A., Tricco, A. C., Sampson, M., & Moher, D. Updating systematic reviews: An international survey. PLoS ONE 2010; 5(4).
- Jesson, J., & Lacey, F. (2006). How to do (or not to do) a critical literature review. Pharmacy Education 2006; 6(2): 139-148.
- Wright RW, Brand RA, Dunn W, Spindler KP. How to write a systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007 Feb;455:23-9. PubMed Record
- Videos on EBM from James McCormack: Viva La Evidence ; Some Studies that I like to Quote
- PROSPERO: International prospective register of systematic reviews
- PRISMA: Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses PRISMA 2009 Checklist
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN); Critical Appraisal: Notes and Checklists
- AGREE Instrument II (Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation)
- Grey Matters: a practical search tool for evidence-based medicine [Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health] This checklist includes national and international HTA web sites, drug and device regulatory agencies, clinical trial registries, health economics resources, Canadian health prevalence or incidence databases, and drug formulary web sites.
- Expert Searching [WIKI by Dean Giustini]
- ExpertSearching [a listserv for medical literature searching problem solving, from the Medical Library Association]
- Yale MeSH Analyzer [A MeSH analysis grid can help identify the problems in your search strategy by presenting the ways articles are indexed in the MEDLINE database in an easy-to-scan tabular format.] What is the MeSH Analyzer?
- McGowan J, Sampson M, Salzwedel DM, Cogo E, Foerster V, Lefebvre C. PRESS Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies: 2015 Guideline Statement. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016 Jul;75:40-6. PubMed Record ; PDF Version ; Search Submission & Peer Review Assessment [form]
- McGowan, J., Sampson, M., & Lefebvre, C. An evidence based checklist for the Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies (PRESS EBC). Evid Based Library Inf Pract 2010: 5(1), 149-154.
- Sampson, M., McGowan, J., Cogo, E., Grimshaw, J., Moher, D., & Lefebvre, C. (2009). An evidence-based practice guideline for the peer review of electronic search strategies. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62(9): 944-952. PubMed Record
- PRESS Forum
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) Search Filters; Economic Studies
- McMaster Health Information Research Unit. Hedges. MEDLINE Economics
- Development and Testing of Search Filters to Identify Economic Evaluations in MEDLINE and EMBASE [Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health], 2009
APPENDIX 1: Search strategies that are used to identify comparator records
APPENDIX 4: Published search filters used in comparative testing
- The Cochrane Handbook. 6.4.11 Search filters [RCTs]
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Guide to Searching. EndNote Filters
- Cochrane Information Retrieval Methods Group
- Incorporating economic evidence [Cochrane Handbook Chapter 15]
- McMaster Health Information Research Unit. Hedges. Economics
- Campbell & Cochrane Economics Methods Group (CCEMG)
- Arksey H, Huerbin L. Scoping studies: Towards a methodological framework. Int J Soc Res Methodol 2005; 8(1):19-32.
- Grant MJ, Booth A. A typology of reviews: An analysis of 14 review types and associated methodologies. Health Info Libr J 2009; 29:91-108.
- Green BM, Johnson CD, Adams A. Writing narrative literature reviews for peer-reviewed journals: Secrets of the trade. J Chiropr Med 2006 Fall;5(3):101-117.
- Kastner M, Tricco AC, Soobiah C, Lillie E, Perrier L, Horsley T, Welch V, Cogo E, Antony J, Straus SE. What is the most appropriate knowledge synthesis method to conduct a review? Protocol for a scoping review. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Aug 3;12:114.
- Levac D, Colquhoun H, O’Brien KK. Scoping studies: Advancing the methodology. Implement Sci 2010; 5:69-77.