MORE RESOURCES >> GETTING PUBLISHED
- Where to submit an article for publication
- Help with manuscript development
- Author instructions
- Help with citation formatting
- Journal impact factor
- Help with research/critical appraisal
Updated March 26, 2016.
- Jane: Journal/Author Name Estimator [Just enter the title and/or abstract of the paper in the box, and click on ‘Find journals’, ‘Find authors’ or ‘Find articles’. Jane will then compare your document to millions of documents in MEDLINE to find the best matching journals, authors or articles.]
- Journal Directory (Index to Chiropractic Literature)
- Peer Reviewed Journals (ICL Open Access Library)
- Magazines & Newspapers (ICL Open Access Library)
- HelioBLAST [The HelioBLAST text similarity engine finds text records that are similar to the submitted query.]
- Budgell B. Commentary. Guidelines to the writing of case studies. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2008 December;52(4):199-204.
- Green BN, Johnson CD. How to write a case report for publication. J Chiropr Med 2006; 5(2):72-82.
- Green BM, Johnson CD, Adams A. Writing narrative literature reviews for peer-reviewed journals: Secrets of the trade. J Chiropr Med 2006 Fall;5(3):101-117.
- Johnson C, Green B. Submitting manuscripts to biomedical journals: Common errors and helpful solutions. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Jan;32(1):1-12.
- Lawrence DJ. Case reports for the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine [editorial]. J Chiropr Med 2002 June;1(2):47-8.
- Lee AD, Green BN, Johnson CD, Nyquist J. How to write a scholarly book review for publication in a peer-reviewed journal: A review of the literature. J Chiropr Educ 2010;24(1):57-69. Appendix A: Book Appraisal Worksheet
- Merritt L. Commentary. Case reports: An important contribution to chiropractic literature. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2007 June;51(2):72-4.
- Ventres W, Morrow C. The joy of reviewing: A short guide to writing book and media reviews. Fam Med 2009 Jul-Aug;41(7):492-3.
- Wright RW, Brand RA, Dunn W, Spindler KP. How to write a systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007 Feb;455:23-9. PubMed Record
- Instructions to Authors in the Health Sciences [The University of Toledo]
– link to over 6,000 health and life sciences journals
- ICMJE: International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals Browse the Recommendations
Samples of Formatted References for Authors of Journal Articles [Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals (ICMJE Recommendations)]
Patrias K. Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US), 2007.
- Personal Bibliographic Managers [free]
– citeulike [a free service for managing and discovering scholarly references]
– Zotero [a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources]
– Mendeley [Academic reference management software for researchers]
- Equator Network. EQUATOR: Enhancing the QUality and Transparency Of health Research (resources for authors, editors and peer reviewers, and report guideline developers)
- Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature PubMed Records
- Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice, 3rd ed [by] Gordon Guyatt, Drummond Rennie, Maureen O. Meade, Deborah J. Cook. © American Medical Association, 2015. [partial contents available without subscription]
Office of Ethics, Professionalism and International Affairs. Canadian Medical Association. Research Guidelines: A web-based decision-guide for physicians. Ottawa: 2008.
- Riva JJ, Malik KMP, Burnie SJ, Endicott AR, Busse JW. Commentary – What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2012 Sep;56(3):167-171. PubMed Record
- Walker BF. How to critique an article on therapy. Australas Chiropr & Osteopat 1997 July;6(2):52-7.