MORE RESOURCES >> GETTING PUBLISHED
- Where to look for places to submit an article for publication
- Help with manuscript development
- Author instructions
- Help with citation formatting
- Journal Impact Factor
- Help with research/Critical appraisal
- Jane: Journal/Author Namer Estimator [Just enter the title and/or abstract of the paper in the box, and click on ‘Find journals’, ‘Find authors’ or ‘Find Articles’. Jane will then compare your document to millions of documents in Medline to find the best matching journals, authors or articles.]
- Journals Indexed in the Index to Chiropractic Literature
- Peer Reviewed Journals (Open Access Library)
- Magazines & Newspapers (Open Access Library)
- Journal RSS Feeds & Social Media [peer reviewed journals, some not indexed in ICL]
- eTBLAST 3.0: a similarity-based search engine [used for identifying plagiarism; useful for locating journals]
- Riva JJ, Malik KMP, Burnie SJ, Endicott AR, Busse JW. Commentary – What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2012 Sep;56(3):167-171. PubMed Record
- Budgell B. Commentary. Guidelines to the writing of case studies. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2008 December;52(4):199-204.
- Equator Network Resource Centre. EQUATOR: Enhancing the QUality and Transparency Of health Research (resources for authors, editors and peer reviewers, and report guideline developers)
- Green BN, Johnson CD. How to write a case report for publication. J Chiropr Med 2006; 5(2):72-82.
- Green BM, Johnson CD, Adams A. Writing narrative literature reviews for peer-reviewed journals: Secrets of the trade. J Chiropr Med 2006 Fall;5(3):101-117.
- Johnson C, Green B. Submitting manuscripts to biomedical journals: Common errors and helpful solutions. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Jan;32(1):1-12.
- Lawrence DJ. Case reports for the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine [editorial]. J Chiropr Med 2002 June;1(2):47-8.
- Lee AD, Green BN, Johnson CD, Nyquist J. How to write a scholarly book review for publication in a peer-reviewed journal: A review of the literature. J Chiropr Educ 2010;24(1):57-69. Appendix A: Book Appraisal Worksheet (WORD)
- Merritt L. Commentary. Case reports: An important contribution to chiropractic literature. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2007 June;51(2):72-4.
- Reeves S, Koppel I, Barr H, Freeth D, Hammick M. Twelve tips for undertaking a systematic review. Med Teach 2002 Jul;24(4):358-63. PubMed Record
- Ventres W, Morrow C. The joy of reviewing: A short guide to writing book and media reviews. Fam Med 2009 Jul-Aug;41(7):492-3.
- Wright RW, Brand RA, Dunn W, Spindler KP. How to write a systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007 Feb;455:23-9. PubMed Record
- Instructions to Authors in the Health Sciences
– link to over 3,500 health and life sciences journals
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals:
Writing and Editing for Biomedical Publication (Vancouver Style)
– ICMJE: International Committee of Medical Journal Editors
Sample References [International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals]
Patrias K. Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US), 2007.
- Personal Bibliographic Managers [free]
– citeulike [a free service for managing and discovering scholarly references]
– Zotero [a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources]
– Mendeley [Academic reference management software for researchers]
Johnson C. Keeping a critical eye on chiropractic [editorial]. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2008 October;31(8):559-61.
- Hawk C, Henderson C, Killinger LZ et al. Report on the development, implementation, and evaluation of an evidence-based skills course: A lesson in incremental curricular change. J Chiropr Educ 2004;18(2):116-26.
Hagino C. How to Appraise Research: A Guide for Chiropractic Students and Practitioners. New York NY: Churchill Livingstone, 2003. [limited preview]
Office of Ethics, Professionalism and International Affairs. Canadian Medical Association. Research Guidelines: A web-based decision-guide for physicians. Ottawa: 2008.
Online tool helps guide physician researchers, July 9, 2009
Walker BF. How to critique an article on therapy. Australas Chiropr & Osteopat 1997 July;6(2):52-7.