MORE RESOURCES >> Getting Published
Reporting Guidelines | Help with manuscript development | Where to submit an article for publication | Author instructions |
Help with citation formatting | Help with research/critical appraisal | Journal Impact Factor
EQUATOR network: Enhancing the QUAlity and Transparency Of health Research : Your one-stop-shop for writing and publishing high-impact health research … an international initiative that seeks to improve the reliability and value of published health research literature by promoting transparent and accurate reporting and wider use of robust reporting guidelines.
EQUATOR Reporting Guideline Decision Tree: Which guidelines are relevant to my work? | Library for health research reporting … an up-to-date collection of guidelines and policy documents related to health research reporting
Reporting guidelines for selected study types:
- Case reports | CARE: Case Report Guidelines | CARE Checklist
- Systematic reviews | PRISMA: Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses | PRISMA checklist
- Qualitative research | SRQR: Standards for reporting qualitative research | SRQR Checklist
- Randomised trials | CONSORT: Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials | CONSORT within person trials checklist
- Clinical practice guidelines | AGREE: Appraisal of Guidelines, Research and Evaluation | AGREE Reporting Checklist AGREE Enterprise
- Diagnostic/prognostic studies | STARD: Standards for Reporting Diagnostic Accuracy Studies | STARD Checklist
- Economic evaluations | CHEERS: Consolidated Health Economic Evaluation Reporting Standards | CHEERS Checklist
- Budgell B. Commentary. Guidelines to the writing of case studies. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2008 December;52(4):199-204.
- EQUATOR network. Guidance on scientific writing
- Green BN, Johnson CD. How to write a case report for publication. J Chiropr Med 2006; 5(2):72-82.
- Green BM, Johnson CD, Adams A. Writing narrative literature reviews for peer-reviewed journals: Secrets of the trade. J Chiropr Med 2006 Fall;5(3):101-117.
- Johnson C, Green B. Submitting manuscripts to biomedical journals: Common errors and helpful solutions. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Jan;32(1):1-12.
- Lawrence DJ. Case reports for the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine [editorial]. J Chiropr Med 2002 June;1(2):47-8.
- Lee AD, Green BN, Johnson CD, Nyquist J. How to write a scholarly book review for publication in a peer-reviewed journal: A review of the literature. J Chiropr Educ 2010;24(1):57-69. Appendix A: Book Appraisal Worksheet
- Merritt L. Commentary. Case reports: An important contribution to chiropractic literature. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2007 June;51(2):72-4.
- Ventres W, Morrow C. The joy of reviewing: A short guide to writing book and media reviews. Fam Med 2009 Jul-Aug;41(7):492-3.
- Wright RW, Brand RA, Dunn W, Spindler KP. How to write a systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007 Feb;455:23-9. PubMed Record
- Jane: Journal/Author Name Estimator Just enter the title and/or abstract of the paper in the box, and click on ‘Find journals’, ‘Find authors’ or ‘Find articles’. Jane will then compare your document to millions of documents in MEDLINE to find the best matching journals, authors or articles.
- ! THINK √ CHECK > SUBMIT … a campaign to help researchers identify trusted journals for their research. It is a simple checklist researchers can use to assess the credentials of a journal or publisher. Supporting organizations (This site is currently undergoing maintenance.)
- Journal Directory (Index to Chiropractic Literature)
- Free Peer Reviewed Journals (ICL Open Access Library)
- Free Magazines & Newspapers (ICL Open Access Library)
- HelioBLAST The HelioBLAST text similarity engine finds text records that are similar to the submitted query.
- Instructions to Authors in the Health Sciences [The University of Toledo; link to over 6,000 health and life sciences journals]
- ICMJE: International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals Browse the Recommendations
Samples of Formatted References for Authors of Journal Articles Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals (ICMJE Recommendations)
Patrias K. Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US), 2007.
- Citation Machine™ [automatically generates citations in MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian, and thousands more]
- Personal Bibliographic Managers
– EndNote™ A Smarter Way to Research [subscription required]
– citeulike a free service for managing and discovering scholarly references
– Zotero a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources
– Mendeley Empowering researchers to organize their references
- Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature PubMed Records
- Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice, 3rd ed [by] Gordon Guyatt, Drummond Rennie, Maureen O. Meade, Deborah J. Cook. © American Medical Association, 2015. [partial contents available without subscription]
Office of Ethics, Professionalism and International Affairs. Canadian Medical Association. Research Guidelines: A web-based decision-guide for physicians. Ottawa: 2008.
- Riva JJ, Malik KMP, Burnie SJ, Endicott AR, Busse JW. Commentary – What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2012 Sep;56(3):167-171. PubMed Record