Free Research Articles
OPEN ACCESS LIBRARY >> Free Research Articles
On this page
Chiropractic as a profession | Who uses chiropractic? | Issues in chiropractic | Economic factors | Neck pain and whiplash | Back pain | Headache | In the clinic
Elsewhere on the ICL site
Practice guidelines | Evidence-based health care | Knowledge translation | Getting published | Journal impact factor | OPTIMa reviews & guidelines
This page contains links to a selection of open access articles arranged by broad topic. Where available, click on PubMed Record >> Similar articles to link to further citations. For some topics below, you can run searches in PubMed or ICL. These searches are ICL editor suggestions only; they do not constitute full retrieval. Subscriptions are required to retrieve full text for most articles located through PubMed or ICL.
Note: The ICL editors do not necessarily endorse the views expressed by the authors of the articles on this page. This page last updated March 19, 2021. See also Finding Full Text
Chiropractic as a profession
- Swain MS, Gliedt JA, de Luca K, Newell D, Holmes M. Chiropractic students’ cognitive dissonance to statements about professional identity, role, setting and future: International perspectives from a secondary analysis of pooled data. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2021;29(5):1-10. PubMed Record
- Innes SI, Leboeuf-Yde C, Walker BF. The accreditation role of Councils on Chiropractic Education as part of the profession’s journey from craft to allied health profession: A commentary. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2020;28(40):Online access only 9 p. PubMed Record
- Beliveau PJH, Wong JJ, Sutton DA, Simon NB, Bussières AE, Mior SA, French SD. The chiropractic profession: A scoping review of utilization rates, reasons for seeking care, patient profiles, and care provided [review]. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2017;25(35):17 p. PubMed Record
- Gliedt JA, Schneider MJ, Evans MW, King J, Eubanks, JE. The biopsychosocial model and chiropractic: A commentary with recommendations for the chiropractic profession. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2017;25(16):9 p. PubMed Record
- Brown RA. Spinal health: The backbone of chiropractic’s identity. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):22-28. PubMed Record
- Good CJ. Chiropractic identity in the United States: Wisdom, courage, and strength. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):9-34. PubMed Record
- Kimura MN,Russell R,Scaringe J. Professional identity at Los Angeles College of Chiropractic. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):61-67. PubMed Record
- Rosner AL. Chiropractic identity: A neurological, professional, and political assessment. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):35-45. PubMed Record
- Schneider M, Murphy D, Hartvigsen J. Spine care as a framework for the chiropractic identity. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):14-21. PubMed Record
- Bussières AE,Terhorst L,Leach M,Stuber K,Evans R,Schneider MJ. Self-reported attitudes, skills and use of evidence-based practice among Canadian doctors of chiropractic: A national survey. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2015 Dec;59(4):332-348. PubMed Record
- Nielsen OL, Kongsted A, Christensen HW. The chiropractic profession in Denmark 2010–2014: A descriptive report. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2015 ;23(27): 8 p. PubMed Record
- Johnson CD,Green BN. Diversity in the chiropractic profession: Preparing for 2050 [editorial]. J Chiropr Educ. 2012 Spr;26(1):1-13. PubMed Record
- Brown R. A health care system in transformation: Making the case for chiropractic. Chiropr Man Therap 2012 Dec 6;20(1):37. PubMed Record
- Murphy DR, Schneider MJ, Seaman DR, Perle SM, Nelson CF. How can chiropractic become a respected mainstream profession? The example of podiatry. Chiropr Osteopat 2008 Aug 29;16:10. PubMed Record
- Evans MW Jr, Rupert R. The Council on Chiropractic Education’s new wellness standard: A call to action for the chiropractic profession. Chiropr Osteopat 2006 Oct 12;14:23. PubMed Record
- Meeker WC, Haldeman S. Chiropractic: a profession at the crossroads of mainstream and alternative medicine. Ann Intern Med 2002 Feb 5;136(3):216-27. PubMed Record
- Nelson CF, Lawrence DJ, Triano JJ, Bronfort G, Perle SM, Metz RD, Hegetschweiler K, LaBrot T. Chiropractic as spine care: A model for the profession. Chiropr Osteopat 2005 Jul 6;13:9. PubMed Record
- Pettman E. A history of manipulative therapy. J Man Manip Ther 2007;15(3):165-74. PubMed Record
Who uses chiropractic?
- Beliveau PJH, Wong JJ, Sutton DA, Simon NB, Bussières AE, Mior SA, French SD. The chiropractic profession: A scoping review of utilization rates, reasons for seeking care, patient profiles, and care provided [systematic review]. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2017 ;25(35):Online access only 17 p. PubMed Record
- Lisi AJ,Brandt CA. Trends in the use and characteristics of chiropractic services in the Department of Veterans Affairs. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Jun;39(5):381-386. PubMed Record
- Weeks WB, Goertz CM, Meeker WC, Marchiori DM. Public perceptions of doctors of chiropractic: Results of a national survey and examination of variation according to respondents’ likelihood to use chiropractic, experience with chiropractic, and chiropractic supply in local health care markets. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015 Oct;38(8):533-544. PubMed Record
- Hurwitz EL,Li D,Guillen J,Schneider MJ,Stevans JM,Phillips RB,Phelan SP,Lewis EA,Armstrong RC,Vassilaki M. Variations in patterns of utilization and charges for the care of neck pain in North Carolina, 2000 to 2009: A statewide claims’ data analysis. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 May;39(4):240-251. PubMed Record
- Hurwitz EL,Li D,Guillen J,Schneider MJ,Stevans JM,Phillips RB,Phelan SP,Lewis EA,Armstrong RC,Vassilaki M. Variations in patterns of utilization and charges for the care of low back pain in North Carolina, 2000 to 2009: A statewide claims’ data analysis. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 May;39(4):252-262. PubMed Record
- Nook DD, Nook EC, Nook BC. Utilization of chiropractic care at the World Games 2013. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Nov-Dec;39(9):693-704. PubMed Record
- Triano JJ, McGregor M. Core and complementary chiropractic: Lowering barriers to patient utilization of services. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016 Dec;23(1):1-13. PubMed Record
- Weeks WB,Goertz CM,Meeker WC,Marchiori DM. Public perceptions of doctors of chiropractic: Results of a national survey and examination of variation according to respondents’ likelihood to use chiropractic, experience with chiropractic, and chiropractic supply in local health care markets. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015 Oct;38(8):533-544. PubMed Record.
- Weigel PA,Hockenberry JM,Wolinsky FD. Chiropractic use in the Medicare population: Prevalence, patterns, and associations with 1-year changes in health and satisfaction with care. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 Oct;37(8):542-551. PubMed Record.
- Brown BT,Bonello R,Fernandez-Caamano R,Eaton S,Graham PL,Green H. Consumer characteristics and perceptions of chiropractic and chiropractic services in Australia: Results from a cross-sectional survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 May;37(4):219-229. PubMed Record.
- Dougherty PE,Hawk C,Weiner DK,Gleberzon B,Andrew K,Killinger L. The role of chiropractic care in older adults. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2012 ;20(1):Online access only 18 p. PubMed Record.
- Blum C, Globe G, Terre L, Mirtz TA, Greene L, Globe D. Multinational survey of chiropractic patients: Reasons for seeking care. JCCA: J Can Chiropr Assoc 2008 August;52(3):175-84. PubMed Record
- Hurwitz EL, Chiang LM. A comparative analysis of chiropractic and general practitioner patients in North America: Findings from the joint Canada/United States Survey of Health, 2002-03. BMC Health Serv Res 2006 April 6;6:49. PubMed Record
- Xue CC, Zhang AL, Lin V, Myers R, Polus B, Story DF. Acupuncture, chiropractic and osteopathy use in Australia: A national population survey. BMC Public Health 2008 Apr 1;8:105. PubMed Record
Issues in chiropractic
- Coulter ID, Herman PM. The research crisis in American institutions of complementary and integrative health: One proposed solution for chiropractic profession. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2019 ;27(32):Online access only 5 p. PubMed Record
- Cassidy JD, Boyle E, Côté P, Yaohua H, Hogg-Johnson S, Silver FL, Bondy SJ. Risk of vertebrobasilar stroke and chiropractic care: Results of a population-based case-control and case-crossover study. European Spine Journal 2008 April; 17(Suppl 1): 176-183.
- Haneline MT, Rosner AL. The etiology of cervical artery dissection. J Chiropr Med. 2007 Sep;6(3):110-120.
- Huijbregts PA. Chiropractic legal challenges to the physical therapy scope of practice: Anybody else taking the ethical high ground? J Man Manip Ther. 2007;15(2):69-80. PubMed Record
- Keating JC Jr, Charlton KH, Grod JP, Perle SM, Sikorski D, Winterstein JF. Subluxation: dogma or science? Chiropr Osteopat 2005 Aug 10;13:17. PubMed Record
- Rothwell DM, Bondy SJ, Williams JI. Chiropractic manipulation and stroke: A population-based case-control study. Stroke 2001 May;32(5):1054-60. PubMed Record
- Leininger B, Bronfort G, Evans R, Hodges J, Kuntz K, Nyman JA. Cost-effectiveness of spinal manipulation, exercise, and self-management for spinal pain using an individual participant data meta-analysis approach: A study protocol [randomized controlled trial]. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2018 ;26(46):Online access only 8 p. PubMed Record
- Choudhry N, Milstein A. Do Chiropractic Physician Services for Treatment of Low Back and Neck Pain Improve the Value of Health Benefits Plans? An Evidence-Based Assessment of Incremental Impact on Population Health and Total Health Care Spending. A report prepared for the Foundation for Chiropractic Progress (F4CP), October 12, 2009. San Francisco CA: Mercer, 2009. [Foundation for Chiropractic Progress]
- Grieves B, Menke JM, Pursel KJ. Cost minimization analysis of low back pain claims data for chiropractic vs medicine in a managed care organization. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009 Nov-Dec;32(9):734-9. PubMed Record
- Legorreta AP, Metz RD, Nelson CF, Ray S, Chernicoff HO, Dinubile NA. Comparative analysis of individuals with and without chiropractic coverage: Patient characteristics, utilization, and costs. Arch Intern Med 2004 Oct 11;164(18):1985-92. PubMed Record
Neck pain and whiplash
See also Neck Pain Task Force Update ; OPTIMa Reviews & Guidelines ; Run a search for free articles in PubMed ; Run a search in ICL
- Neck Pain and the Decade of the Bone and Joint 2000-2010. First published in Spine; February 15, 2008; 33 (Suppl 4). Republished in European Spine Journal ; (Suppl 1); April 2008 [available free through PubMed Central] PubMed Records for J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Feb;32(2 Suppl)
- Bronfort G, ,Evans R, Anderson AV, Svendsen KH, Bracha Y, Grimm RH. Spinal manipulation, medication, or home exercise with advice for acute and subacute neck pain; A randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 2012: 156 (1 Part 1): 1-10. PubMed Record
- Bussières A. The Canadian Chiropractic Guideline Initiative: Progress to date. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2014 Sep;58(3):215–219.
- Bussières AE, Stewart G, Al-Zoubi F, Decina P, Descarreaux M, Hayden J, Hendrickson B, Hincapié C, Pagé I, Passmore S, Srbely J, Stupar M, Weisberg J, Ornelas J. The treatment of neck pain–associated disorders and whiplash-associated disorders: A clinical practice guideline. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Oct;39(8):523-564;e27. PubMed Record
- Freeman MD, Croft AC, Rossignol AM. “Whiplash associated disorders: redefining whiplash and its management” by the Quebec Task Force. A critical evaluation. Spine; 1998 May 1;23(9):1043-9. PubMed Record
- Groeneweg R, van Assen L, Kropman H, Leopold H, Mulder J, Smits-Engelsman BCM, Ostelo RWJG, Oostendorp RAB, van Tulder MW. Manual therapy compared with physical therapy in patients with non-specific neck pain: A randomized controlled trial. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2017 ;25(12):Online access only 12 p. PubMed Record
- Hartling L, Brison RJ, Ardern C, Pickett W. Prognostic value of the Quebec Classification of Whiplash-Associated Disorders. Spine; 2001 Jan 1;26(1):36-41. PubMed Record
- Holm LW, Carroll LJ, Cassidy JD, Hogg-Johnson S, Côté P, Guzman J, Peloso P, Nordin M, Hurwitz E, van der Velde G, Carragee E, Haldeman S. The burden and determinants of neck pain in whiplash-associated disorders after traffic collisions: Results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009 Feb;32(2 Suppl):S61-9. PubMed Record
- Hurwitz EL, Morgenstern H, Harber P, Kominski GF, Yu F, Adams AH. A randomized trial of chiropractic manipulation and mobilization for patients with neck pain: Clinical outcomes from the UCLA neck-pain study. Am J Public Health 2002 Oct;92(10):1634-41. PubMed Record
- Lindsay GM, Mior SA, Côté P, Carroll LJ, Shearer HM. Patients’ experiences with vehicle collision to inform the development of clinical practice guidelines: A narrative inquiry. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Mar-Apr;39(3):218-28. PubMed Record
- Motor Accidents Authority, New South Wales. Guidelines for the Management of Acute Whiplash-Associated Disorders for Health Professionals. 3rd Edition. Sydney, Australia, 2014.
- Nyirö L, Peterson CK, Humphreys BK. Exploring the definition of «acute» neck pain: A prospective cohort observational study comparing the outcomes of chiropractic patients with 0–2 weeks, 2–4 weeks and 4–12 weeks of symptoms. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2017 ;25(24):Online access only 10 p. PubMed Record
- Vernon H, Humphreys BK. Chronic mechanical neck pain in adults treated by manual therapy: a systematic review of change scores in randomized controlled trials of a single session. J Man Manip Ther. 2008;16(2):E42-52. PubMed Record
See also OPTIMa reviews ; Run a search for free articles in PubMed ; Run a search in ICL
- Teodorczyk-Injeyan JA, Triano JJ, Gringmuth R, deGraauw C, Chow A, Injeyan HS. Effects of spinal manipulative therapy on inflammatory mediators in patients with non-specific low back pain: A non-randomized controlled clinical trial. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2021 ;29(3):1-11. PubMed Record
- Glissmann Nim C, Weber KA, Kawchuk GN, O’Neill S. Spinal manipulation and modulation of pain sensitivity in persistent low back pain: A secondary cluster analysis of a randomized trial. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2021 ;29(10):1-14. PubMed Record
- Ammendolia C, Cassidy D, Steenstra I, Soklaridis S, Boyle E, Eng S, Hamer H, Bains B, Coté P. Designing a workplace return-to-work program for occupational low back pain: An intervention mapping approach. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2009 Jun 9;10(1):65. PubMed Record
- Bialosky JE, Bishop MD, Robinson ME, Zeppieri G Jr, George SZ. Spinal manipulative therapy has an immediate effect on thermal pain sensitivity in people with low back pain: A randomized controlled trial. Phys Ther 2009 Dec;89(12):1292-303. PubMed Record
- Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, Leininger B, Triano J. Effectiveness of manual therapies: The UK evidence report. Chiropr Osteopat 2010 Feb 25;18:3. PubMed Record
- Cleland JA, Fritz JM, Childs JD, Kulig K. Comparison of the effectiveness of three manual physical therapy techniques in a subgroup of patients with low back pain who satisfy a clinical prediction rule: study protocol of a randomized clinical trial [NCT00257998]. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2006 Feb 10;7:11. PubMed Record
- Delitto A, George SZ, Van Dillen LR, Whitman JM, Sowa G, Shekelle P, Denninger TR, Godges JJ; Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. Low back pain. Clinical practice guidelines linked to the international classification of functioning, disability, and health from the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012 Apr;42(4):A1-57. PubMed Record
- Deyo RA, Dworkin SF, Amtmann D, Andersson G, Borenstein D, Carragee E, Carrino J, Chou R, Cook K, DeLitto A, Goertz C, Khalsa P, Loeser J, Mackey S, Panagis J, Rainville J, Tosteson T, Turk D, Von Korff M, Weiner DK. Report of the NIH Task Force on research standards for chronic low back pain. J Pain. 2014 Jun;15(6):569-85. PubMed Record
- Furlan A, Yazdi F, Tsertsvadze A, Gross A, Van Tulder, M, Santaguida L, Cherkin D, Gagnier J, Ammendolia C, Ansari M, Ostermann T, Dryden T, Doucette S, Skidmore B, Daniel R, Tsouros S, Weeks L, Galipeau J. Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Back Pain II. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 194. Prepared by the University of Ottawa Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10059-I (EPCIII). AHRQ Publication No. 10(11)E007. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, October 2010.
- Hertzman-Miller RP, Morgenstern H, Hurwitz EL, Yu F, Adams AH, Harber P, Kominski GF. Comparing the satisfaction of low back pain patients randomized to receive medical or chiropractic care: results from the UCLA low-back pain study. Am J Public Health 2002 Oct;92(10):1628-33. PubMed Record
- Maiers MJ, Hartvigsen J, Schulz C, Schulz K, Evans RL, Bronfort G. Chiropractic and exercise for seniors with low back pain or neck pain: The design of two randomized clinical trials. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2007 Sep 18;8:94. PubMed Record
- Myers SS, Phillips RS, Davis RB, Cherkin DC, Legedza A, Kaptchuk TJ, Hrbek A, Buring JE, Post D, Connelly MT, Eisenberg DM. Patient expectations as predictors of outcome in patients with acute low back pain. J Gen Intern Med 2008 Feb;23(2):148-53. PubMed Record
- Southerst D, Marchand AA, Côté P, Shearer HM, Wong JJ, Varatharajan S, Randhawa K, Sutton D, Yu H, Gross DP, Jacobs C, Goldgrub R, Stupar M, Mior S, Carroll LJ, Taylor-Vaisey A. The effectiveness of noninvasive interventions for musculoskeletal thoracic spine and chest wall pain: A systematic review by the Ontario Protocol for Traffic Injury Management (OPTIMa) collaboration. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015 Sep;38(7):521-31. PubMed Record
- Westrom KK, Maiers MJ, Evans RL, Bronfort G. Individualized chiropractic and integrative care for low back pain: The design of a randomized clinical trial using a mixed-methods approach. Trials 2010 Mar 8;11:24. PubMed Record
- Yang H, Haldeman S, Lu ML, Brubaker D. Low back pain prevalence and related workplace psychosocial risk factors: A study using data from the 2010 National Health Interview Survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Sep;39(7):459-472. PubMed Record
- Lynge S, Dissing KB, Vach W, Christensen HW, Hestbaek L. Effectiveness of chiropractic manipulation versus sham manipulation for recurrent headaches in children aged 7–14 years – a randomised clinical trial. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2021 ;29(1):1-13. PubMed Record
- Becker WJ, Findlay T, Moga C, Scott NA, Harstall C, Taenzer P. Guideline for primary care management of headache in adults. Can Fam Physician. 2015;61(8):670-679. PubMed Record
- Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, Ruegg R, Shaw L, Watkin R, White E. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with headache. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2011 Jun;34(5):274-89. PubMed Record
- Chaibi A, Russell MB. Manual therapies for primary chronic headaches: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Headache Pain. 2014;15(1):67. PubMed Record
- Chaibi A, Russell MB. Manual therapies for cervicogenic headache: A systematic review. J Headache Pain. 2012;13(5):351-359. PubMed Record
- Harris P, Loveman E, Clegg A, Easton S, Berry N. Systematic review of cognitive behavioural therapy for the management of headaches and migraines in adults. Br J Pain. 2015;9(4):213-224. PubMed Record
- Racicki S, Gerwin S, DiClaudio S, Reinmann S, Donaldson M. Conservative physical therapy management for the treatment of cervicogenic headache: A systematic review. J Man Manip Ther. 2013;21(2):113-124. PubMed Record
- Steiner TJ; World Headache Alliance. Lifting the burden: The global campaign against headache. Lancet Neurol 2004 Apr;3(4):204-5.
- World Health Organization. Atlas of Headache Disorders and Resources in the World 2011. Geneva: WHO, 2011.
In the clinic
- Puhl AA, Reinhart CJ, Puhl NJ, Selinger LB, Injeyan HS. An investigation of bacterial contamination on treatment table surfaces of chiropractors in private practice and attitudes and practices concerning table disinfection. Am J Infect Control. 2011 Feb;39(1):56-63. PubMed Record
- Evans MW, Ramcharan M, Floyd R, Globe G, Ndetan H, Williams R, Ivie R. A proposed protocol for hand and table sanitizing in chiropractic clinics and education institutions. J Chiropr Med 2009; 8(1): 38-47. PubMed Record
- Evans MW Jr, Campbell A, Husbands C, Breshears J, Ndetan H, Rupert R. Cloth-covered chiropractic treatment tables as a source of allergens and pathogenic microbes. J Chiropr Med 2008 Mar;7(1):34-8. PubMed Record
- Evans MW Jr, Breshears J, Campbell A, Husbands C, Rupert R. Assessment and risk reduction of infectious pathogens on chiropractic treatment tables. Chiropr Osteopat 2007 Jun 7;15:8. PubMed Record
See articles similar to the above in PubMed.