MORE RESOURCES >> PRACTICE GUIDELINES
Practice guidelines are evidence-based consensus statements intended to limit disparities in practice. This page contains links to guideline databases and Web sites, selected chiropractic guidelines with a special section on whiplash, and selected open access articles.
- Databases and Web sites
- Selected chiropractic guidelines and guideline developers
- Selected reading (Open Access)
- National Guideline Clearinghouse [U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHQR)]
- Annotated Bibliographies from the National Guideline Clearinghouse
- CMA Infobase: Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Guidelines & Recommendations [AHQR: Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality]
- Guidelines International Network. International Guideline Library ; Health Topics Collection
- Evidence in Health and Social Care [UK National Health Service]
- New Zealand Guidelines Group
- World Health Organization. WHO guidelines on basic training and safety in chiropractic. Geneva: WHO, 2005. PDF
- Shaw L, Descarreaux M, Bryans R, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, Ruegg R, Watkin R, White E. A systematic review of chiropractic management of adults with Whiplash-Associated Disorders: Recommendations for advancing evidence-based practice and research. Work 2010;35(3):369-94.
- CCA/CFCRB-CPG. Chiropractic clinical practice guideline: evidence-based treatment of adult neck pain not due to whiplash. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2005; 49(3):160-209.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II [International Classification of Headache Disorders. International Headache Society. 2nd edtion]
- CCGPC: Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters Download Articles
- Association of Chiropractic Colleges. George’s test. Bethesda, MD ACC, [undated]
- Association of Chiropractic Colleges. Informed consent guideline. Bethesda, MD ACC, [undated]
Note: Links to full text are not available for the 1998 and 2001 items listed below. Run a search in ICL.
Spitzer WO, Skovron ML, Salmi LR, Cassidy JD, Duranceau J, Suissa S, Zeiss E. Scientific monograph of the Quebec Task Force on Whiplash-Associated Disorders: Redefining “whiplash” and its management. Spine; 1995 Apr 15;20(8 Suppl):1S-73S. Review. Erratum in: Spine 1995 Nov 1;20(21):2372. PubMed Record
Freeman MD, Croft AC, Rossignol AM. “Whiplash associated disorders: redefining whiplash and its management” by the Quebec Task Force. A critical evaluation. Spine; 1998 May 1;23(9):1043-9. PubMed Record
Hartling L, Brison RJ, Ardern C, Pickett W. Prognostic value of the Quebec Classification of Whiplash-Associated Disorders. Spine; 2001 Jan 1;26(1):36-41. PubMed Record
The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. Clinical guidelines for the physiotherapy management of Whiplash Associated Disorder. London: 2005.
Whiplashkommissionen. The Whiplash Commission Final Report. Stockholm: 2005.
Motor Accidents Authority (MAA). Guidelines for the Management of Acute Whiplash-Associated Disorders for Health Professionals. 2nd Edition. Sydney, Australia, 2007.
For full text see New South Wales Government. Whiplash.
Carroll LJ, Holm LW, Hogg-Johnson S, Côtè P, Cassidy JD, Haldeman S, Nordin M, Hurwitz EL, Carragee EJ, van der Velde G, Peloso PM, Guzman J. Course and prognostic factors for neck pain in whiplash-associated disorders (WAD): Results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Feb;32(2 Suppl):S97-S107. PubMed Record
Holm LW, Carroll LJ, Cassidy JD, Hogg-Johnson S, Côté P, Guzman J, Peloso P, Nordin M, Hurwitz E, van der Velde G, Carragee E, Haldeman S. The burden and determinants of neck pain in whiplash-associated disorders after traffic collisions: Results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2009 Feb;32(2 Suppl):S61-9. PubMed Record
International Chiropractors Association of California. Management of Whiplash Associated Disorders. Sacramento CA: International Chiropractors Association of California; 2009.
Shaw L, Descarreaux M, Bryans R, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, Ruegg R, Watkin R, White E. A systematic review of chiropractic management of adults with Whiplash-Associated Disorders: Recommendations for advancing evidence-based practice and research. Work 2010;35(3):369-94.
CCA/CFCRB-CPG. Practice guide for the management of whiplash-associated disorders in adults. 2010 June.
Expert commentary on Management of Whiplash Associated Disorders, by A.J. Lisi. Does More Add Up to Less? A Review of a Guideline on Whiplash Associated Disorders. September 13, 2010
- Canadian Chiropractic Association/Canadian Federation of Chiropractic Regulatory Boards Clinical Practice Guidelines (CCA/CFCRB-CPG). A clinical practice guideline update from the CCA/CFCREAB-CPG. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2008 Mar;52(1):7-11. PubMed Record
- Ceccato NE, Ferris LE, Manuel D, Grimshaw JM. Adopting health behavior change theory throughout the clinical practice guideline process. J Contin Educ Health Prof 2007 Fall;27(4):201-7. PubMed Record
- Davis DA, Taylor-Vaisey A. Translating guidelines into practice. A systematic review of theoretic concepts, practical experience and research evidence in the adoption of clinical practice guidelines. CMAJ 1997 Aug 15;157(4):408-16. PubMed Record
- Gagliardi AR, Brouwers MC, Palda VA, Lemieux-Charles L, Grimshaw JM. An exploration of how guideline developer capacity and guideline actionability influence implementation and adoption: Study protocol. Implement Sci 2009 Jul 2;4(1):36. PubMed Record
- Improving the use of research evidence in guideline development [PubMed records]
These reviews published in the journal Health Research Policy and Systems were prepared as background for advice from the World Health Organization Advisory Committee on Health Research [ACHR] to WHO on ways of improving the use of research evidence in guideline development.
- Nuckols TK, Lim YW, Wynn BO, Mattke S, MacLean CH, Harber P, Brook RH, Wallace P, Garland RH, Asch S. Rigorous development does not ensure that guidelines are acceptable to a panel of knowledgeable providers. J Gen Intern Med 2008 Jan;23(1):37-44. PubMed Record
- Selected articles on guidelines from the journal Implementation Science