Index to Chiropractic Literature
Index to Chiropractic Literature
My ICL     Sign In
Monday, June 24, 2019
Index to Chiropractic LiteratureIndex to Chiropractic LiteratureIndex to Chiropractic Literature
Share:

ICL Home


For best results switch to Advanced Search.
Article Detail
Return to Search Results
ID 25105
Title Exercise as a vital sign: A preliminary pilot study in a chiropractic setting / [Exercise as a vital sign : étude pilote préliminaire menée dans une clinique chiropratique]
URL https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5799843/
Journal J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2017 Dec;61(3):Online access only p 231–238
Author(s)
Subject(s)
Peer Review Yes
Publication Type Article
Abstract/Notes

Background: The association between physical inactivity and non-communicable disease risk has been well documented in recent literature. An exercise vital sign (EVS) is a measure that can routinely capture vital information about a patient’s physical activity behaviour. The objective of this study is to understand if (1) patient exercise minutes per week (EMPW) are being recorded by chiropractic interns, and (2) whether these patients are exceeding, meeting or falling short of the current recommendations provided by the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines (CPAG).

Methods: Electronic medical records obtained from two Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (CMCC) teaching clinics for patients seen between August 01, 2015 and January 31, 2017 (N=273). EMPW, age, and gender were used to compare patient files relative to the CPAG.

Results: Overall, 86.4% of patient files had recorded data to the question of how many EMPW they perform. The majority (68.8%) of individuals appear to be meeting or exceeding the CPAG, leaving nearly one third (31.2%) of individuals failing to meet these guidelines.

Conclusions: In this pilot study with two sports specialist clinicians an exercise vital sign had been integrated alongside traditional vital signs in order to identify issues of physical inactivity and improve opportunities for continued exercise counselling.

Author keywords: exercise, physical activity, electronic medical records, chiropractic

Author affiliations: Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (Canada / Ontario / Toronto)

This abstract is reproduced with the permission of the publisher. Click on the above link for free full text. PubMed Record


Contexte: L’existence d’un lien entre inactivité physique et risque de maladie non transmissible est bien documentée dans la littérature récente. Exercise vital sign (EVS) est une mesure permettant d’obtenir de façon systématique des données sur l’activité physique d’un patient. Cette étude visait à savoir si 1) les minutes consacrées à l’exercice physique par semaine (MEPPS) sont consignées par les internes en chiropratique et si 2) ces patients suivent les recommandations actuelles énoncées dans les Lignes directrices canadiennes en matière d’activité physique (LDCAC).

Méthodologie: Dossiers médicaux électroniques de patients vus entre le 1er août 2015 et le 31 janvier 2017 (n=273) provenant de deux cliniques d’enseignement affiliées au Canadian Memorial Chiropratique College (CMCC). Les MEPPS, l’âge et le sexe ont servi à comparer les dossiers de patients en tenant compte des LDCAC.

Résultats: Dans l’ensemble, 86,4 % des dossiers de patients contenaient des données sur le nombre de MEPPS. Il semble que la majorité (68,8 %) des sujets respectaient les LDCAC ou allaient même au-delà, alors que presque le tiers (31,2 %) ne les respectaient pas.

Conclusions: Dans cette étude pilote menée par deux cliniciens spécialistes de la médecine sportive, l’exercise vital sign et d’autres signes vitaux classiques ont servi à cerner les problèmes reliés à l’inactivité physique et à accroître les occasions de fournir des conseils en matière d’exercice continu.

Mots-clés de l'auteur:  exercice, activité physique, dossiers médicaux électroniques, chiropratique

Ce résumé est reproduit avec l'autorisation de l'éditeur. Cliquez sur le lien ci-dessus pour obtenir l’article gratuitement.


 

      Text (Citation) Tagged (Export) Excel
 
Email To
Subject
 Message
Format
HTML Text     Excel



Search Tips
  • Enclose phrases in "quotation marks".  Examples: "low back pain", "evidence-based"
  • Retrieve all forms of a word with an asterisk*, also called a wildcard or truncation.  Example: chiropract* retrieves chiropractic, chiropractor, chiropractors
  • Register an account in My ICL to save search histories (My Searches) and collections of records (My Collections)
Advanced Search Tips