The southwestern corner of Second and Brady Streets in Davenport, Iowa, is perhaps the most important location in chiropractic history. There, in 1895, in what was then known as the Ryan Building, (or Ryan Block), Dr. D.D. Palmer performed the first chiropractic adjustment. D.D. Palmer began practicing in the Ryan Building as a magnetic healer in 1888. The Ryan Building underwent extensive renovations in 1892 that completely updated the interior and exterior of the building. A new exterior facade was added to the building as well as interior updates including an elevator. The exterior renovation removed the Italianate style elements including arches above the windows, the large overhanging eaves, and the decorative corbels of the roof. As the years went by, Palmer rented more rooms to expand his office and school. Eventually, business grew so much that new quarters were required. After the Palmers moved out of the building, several other schools of chiropractic occupied the building, including the National School of Chiropractic, Sharp and Carlson School, and the Davenport College of Chiropractic. The historic building in which Dr. D.D. Palmer performed his first chiropractic adjustment was demolished in September 1980. Both documented and undocumented artifacts from the building such as bricks, doors, and transoms still exist and circulate throughout the chiropractic community.
This abstract is reproduced with the permission of the publisher. Full text is available by subscription.