On 29 May 1949, the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College's (CMCC) first 74 graduates paraded across the platform at Eaton's Auditorium, in downtown Toronto, to accept their diplomas. By May 1951, the total number of graduates in the first three classes had swollen to 292, bringing the total of chiropractors in Canada to 832. With a Canadian population of twelve million there were plenty of potential patients to go around. Unfortunately, according to C. Lesley Biggs, Ph.D, "In Canada, in 1950, 130,000 persons, or 0.9 percent of the population, visited a chiropractor (Canada Sickness Survey, 1960). In comparison, in the same year, 43.2 percent of the population visited a physician (either in the offices or in a clinic). The problems facing chiropractors were complex but not insurmountable. This paper examines the life of Ken Lewis, from its origin in Lawson, Sask., to its termination in Midland, Ont., to reveal the methods he employed to endure and prosper in an atmosphere dominated by the medical profession.
This abstract is reproduced with the permission of the publisher. Full text is available by subscription.