In the early 1920’s, a smoldering dispute was developing between some faculty members of the Palmer School of Chiropractic and its president, Dr. B. J. Palmer. Primarily philosophical at the outset, criticism erupted into open rebellion in the spring and summer of 1925 with the resignation of five faculty chairmen. At the center of the disagreement was Palmer’s insistence upon curriculum changes felt to be unwarranted by the dissenters.
Dr. E. A. Thompson was the first to leave, choosing to enter private practice. Soon, resignations were tendered by four others—Drs. J. N. Firth, A.E. Hendricks, H.E. Vedder and S. E. Burich who, as the founders of Lincoln Chiropractic College, would always be known parochially as the “Big Four.” Lincoln College was established in Indianapolis, Indiana and opened its doors in September of 1926. Under the consecutive leadership of the “Big Four,” Lincoln would rival the Davenport “Fountainhead” as a significant chiropractic institution until 1962, when the last of the founders retired.
Paper delivered before the third Conference on Chiropractic History, National College of Chiropractic, Lombard, Ill., June 4, 1983.
Variation occurs in spelling of the big four between article and subject headings. Subject headings dates and spelling of individuals names was verified using Who's Who in Chiropractic International; editions 1976-78 and Second Edition, 1980.
This abstract is reproduced with the permission of the publisher. Full text is available by subscription.